May 8, 2023
There's glass on the moon! Chinese researchers have discovered various types of lunar glass with different origins after conducting systematic research on lunar soil samples of Chang 'e-5, the Institute of Physics under the Chinese Academy of Sciences said Wednesday. More importantly, they also found natural glass fibers in the Chang 'e-5 lunar soil for the first time. When we think of glass, we usually think of beautiful floor-to-ceiling Windows, colorful glass crafts and electronic screens everywhere. In fact, glass is not only an important man-made material, but also a common natural substance in nature. Even on the barren surface of the Moon, there is still abundant glass material produced by volcanic eruptions, geological movements, meteorite impacts and other activities. So what is glass fiber and what are its uses? What products are they usually made of?
What material is glass fiber?
Glass fiber is a kind of inorganic nonmetallic material with excellent properties. Original English name: glassfiber or fiberglass. Components are silica, alumina, calcium oxide, boron oxide, magnesium oxide, sodium oxide, etc. It is glass ball or waste glass as raw materials through high temperature melting, wire drawing, winding, weaving and other processes. Finally, all kinds of products are formed. The diameter of glass fiber monofilament is from a few microns to more than 20 microns, which is equivalent to 1/20-1/5 of a hair. Each bundle of fiber filament is composed of hundreds or even thousands of monofilament.
The density of glass fiber is larger than that of other organic fibers, but it is lower than the density of general metals, almost and aluminum. Therefore, it is possible to replace aluminum and titanium alloy with fiberglass steel in the aviation industry. The density of glass fiber is closely related to the composition, generally about 2.5-2.7g/cm3, but the density of high elastic glass fiber containing a lot of heavy metals can reach 2.9g/cm3.
What products can glass fiber generally produce?
2. No-twist roving fabric (gingham)
3. Fiberglass felt sheet.
4. Cut raw silk and ground fiber.
5. Fiberglass fabric.
6. Composite glass fiber reinforced materials.
What are the uses of glass fiber?
1. Used for the production of glass fiber for electrical insulation.
2. Used in the production of reinforced glass fiber reinforced plastic, filter fabric, bandage fabric, etc.
3. Used for the production of FRP products are mainly used in military industry, space, bulletproof armor and sports equipment.
4. AR glass fiber.
5. It is used to produce glass fiber with good acid resistance and water resistance.
6. It is used to produce low dielectric glass fiber with good dielectric strength.